Updated by Board Resolution March 31 2017.
Policy on Kyu PromotionKyu (white belt) tests are to be conducted by the candidate’s personal instructor or another ASU instructor in good standing as follows:
- Tests for Rokyu through Sankyu may be conducted by an instructor ranked Shodan or above;
- Tests for Rokyu through Nikyu may be conducted by an instructor ranked Nidan or above;
- Tests for Rokyu through Ikkyu may be conducted by an instructor ranked Sandan or above
Policy on Dan Promotion
Testing Venue:Dan testing is to take place before a testing board: either at an ASU seminar, intensive or camp lead by one or more ASU instructors or at a “testing-only” event at an ASU dojo, at which other ASU Dojos are invited to participate.It is recommended that the student submit a Candidate Biography to the testing board prior to the test. It is the responsibility of the candidate’s instructor to verify that all requirements are met and to notify the testing board of this in advance.
Yudansha Testing Boards:These will consist of senior ASU instructors (5th dan or above) in good standing. At a minimum, the testing board will include:
- For Shodan ranking, one 6th dan; or two 5th dans, one of whom is the candidate’s personal instructor.
- For Nidan ranking, a 6th dan and one other of at least 5th dan rank.
- For Sandan ranking, two 6th dans.
- For any of these ranks, the candidate may test before a single 7th dan.