Michigan Tech Aikido Club/Aikido Nanzan Dojo is affiliated with Aikido Schools of Ueshiba under Mitsugi Saotome Shihan. Local instructor: Mark Campbell-Olszewski 5th Dan. All Aikidoka are welcome to train. Our Dojo has been an ASU member since 1985. We offer classes for adults and youth, a .5 credit physical education credit for MTU student, regular tamashigiri training, and an annual seminar co-sponsored by our theStudent Aikido Club at MTU.
Michigan Tech University Aikido Club/ Aikido Nanzan Dojo
Mark Campbell-Olszewski is the coordinator of the Aikido program at Michigan Technological University. Mr. Campbell-Olszewski has studied Aikido under Mitsugi Saotome Sensei for over 30 years and holds the rank of 5th degree black belt. He received his Master’s Degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of Alabama in Birmingham in 1983. He holds ranks in Jikishinkage Ryu and Shotokan Karate. “I am deeply grateful for the privilege of teaching Aikido principles to children and adults at MTU for over three decades. Upon first seeing Saotome Sensei’s teachings it was clear to me that Aikido fused my passions for psychology, martial art, and spiritual/personal growth. The Aikido educational process refines the human spirit, develops strong unification of body and mind, cultivates responsible leadership, and trains the ability to peacefully manage conflict. Aikido’s ability to achieve these goals is apparent in the circular beauty, grace, and power of its techniques. I am committed to the transmission of this wonderful wisdom.”
- Youth Levels:
- Level 1 (age under 7), Friday 6:30-7:10 p.m.
- Level 2 (age 7-9), Friday 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Level 3 (age 10-12), Friday 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Level 4 (age 13-15), Friday 6:30-9:00 p.m.
Adults: 15 years and up or by instructor’s promotion. We offer training for community/student members at basic and advanced levels. We also offer a .5 credit PE class for MTU students during Monday and Wednesday Basic Training. Basic and Advanced assigned by rank and ability. Tamashigiri training by instructor promotion.
- Costs for7-week session:
- Adults: $72 Youth:
- Level 1 $42
- Level 2 $48
- Level 3 $54
- Level 4 $60 Daily fees for visitors available on site at the SDC Ticket Office.
- William Gleason Shihan at Michigan Tech Aikido/Aikido Nanzan Dojo (03/29/2019)
- To-ni-To, Knife to Knife, Aikido Principles & the Japanese Knife (Tanto) Seminar (02/01/2019)
- David Goldberg - Aikido and Japanese Sword (11/07/2014)
- Aikido and Japanese Sword Seminar (10/07/2014)